Friday, November 2, 2007

Enchanted Vagabonds

I just finished Enchanted Vagabonds. I've carried it over ten thousand miles on my trip and I couldn't think of a more appropriate time to wrap it up. An epic adventure book on a relatively somewhat epic-ish adventure. I was introduced to this book while in Australia visiting Tom Wegener, who in tern was introduced to it by our mutual friend Thomas . As the story goes (and I may be messing this up) Thomas was inspired by this book as a kid (or something) and told Tom about it. Tom got a copy read it and was also very taken by the story. Understand that both of these men are fine craftsmen and aquatic adventurers in their own right. So, a story about a couple who rather than wallow in the mire of the Great Depression , opt to build a 16 foot boat and sail, row, and tow it from San Diego all the way to the Panama Canal living by their own skill and wit, was very intriguing. I thought so too. Ginger and Dana Lamb left from Dana Point California in 1933 and arrived at the Panama Canal in 1936 surviving multiple bouts of malaria, hostile gun fire, thieves, pirates, countless storms, cold and hungry nights, etc. For a year prior to their departure they trained. At the firing range with their pistols and in the kitchen, eating hard kernal corn and legumes to acclimate their bodies to the subsistence living they would have to endure on the voyage.The Lambs, who had known each other since childhood, and had dreamed of adventure ever since, saw this as a perfect time to make such a voyage. Take your chances in the unknown or take your chances in Depression era California. They chose the adventure. I'm glad they did. Take a minute to read the passage from the final page of the book. I thought it quite right. (note: in the fourth image below, the Lambs pose next to a shack made from wooden whiskey crates. I love it.)



























No comments: