Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Day 45 to 47

Woke up in back of a hotel parking lot and made a b-line to the Avalon Pier around 8am. I found some waist to chest high peelers moving through and one guy out. No coffee. No food. Just put on some trunks and a wetsut vest and hit it. Came in ate breakfast and made some coffee then hit it again. Didn't even take any pictures. Just surfed. By 1PM there were seven really happy local folks having a great time in the unusually warm water. I got out and watched them frolic for a while then hit the road south. I planned to surf in Hatteras but the crowd to wave ratio was wrong even though the shape was right. I motored on. Caught a ferry to Okracoke Island...then another to Cedar Island. Slept on Cedar Island then at dawn lit out for the I95 south. Through the Carolinas and Georgia the air was thick and muggy. I called Blain who was down in the Keys at this point chipping the rust off her fishing skills. She said she had some pals in St. Augustine who I should hook up with and I wanted to line it up before rolling into town. Between gasps of excitment and one hang up due to a four foot Tarpon that was swiming around her baited line, she assured me she had friends at a spot called the Cafe 11 in St. Augustine who would help me out. With the appropriate info penned down I landed at Cafe 11 around 8pm. I explained my situation to the waitress..how I was just passing through, and was friends with some of her friends etc... and she told me I could park out back for the night. I devoured Mahi wrap and I crawled in back of the van for the night. I could have suffucated the air was so thick in there! I wanted a battery powered fan bad. I finally manged to sweat myself to sleep around 4am. Maybe I just passed out from dehydration...I don't know. Thanks to the folks at Cafe 11.

















No comments: