Thursday, September 13, 2007

Day 15

David and I packed the dogs in the van and headed across the Mississippi to the farm in Wisconsin. On the way he suggested we stop at this drive in for lunch. It was a trailer attached to a house nestled near a cornfield with a home made drive up window in it. The sign boasted "broasted chicken" whatever that meant. I skeptically toyed with David's iphone while the food was prepared. When the food arrived I was in heaven. This is the stuff I had been craving. What a meat laden trip this has been and Minnesota and Wisconsin were not the places I was about to go back to tofu. David even got fried cheese curds which I polished off at his suggestion (along with a chug of his chocolate malt) YUM. Upon arriving at the farm, I was promptly buckled into David and Greg's puffed up golf cart for an exhilarating ride through their large acreage. We came upon an owl eating a hawk, then two wild turkeys, a bald eagle and a couple of deer. After parking the 4x4 Polaris cart. I got the walking tour and enjoyed an apple from one of the many trees weeping with fruit. Then I finished off the red raspberries from a neighboring bush. Damn, they were good. We jumped in the van and headed two miles back to town for some gas for the chainsaw, a slab of meat for dinner and I wanted a beer. We toured the center of Pepin, WI and the marina by Lake Pepin. Not so much in the way of epic peelers on the jetty. Head high on a mouse...maybe. It had potential though. Back at the house, pot roast in the oven and beer in hand, there was a knock on the door. It was the neighbor and resident carpenter , Erik and his pal the welder, Wayne. They were checking in on David and wanted to get permission to take their new hunting rig up in the fields to scout for deer. Wayne informed us the season was opening next week and they were getting their locations scouted out. I was into their little Suzuki 4x4 with the camo paint they did on it last night themselves. An oak leaf motif of browns and greens really suited the vehicle. I noticed aside from the two beers they were holding there was a case in the front seat and a freshly cracked bag of pretzels. I liked these guys so I showed them my rig too. They got a kick out of how dialed in it was and questioned me about my trip. Then we bid each other adieu. I've gotta say, I wish there was a third seat in their rig....I could have gotten some epic footage! Maybe tomorrow.















2 comments:

jonwayne said...

yo chris your living the dream. I'm leaving my family and hitting the road. Hope to catch up with you in NYC.

Christopher B said...

We have Broasted chicken in RI. We also Have Birched Chicken. They're both delicious. In fact, there'a play called The Broaster House accross the street from where my memere and pepere used to live.

Those dudes with the camo cart are awesome. Bring them to New York. Even though I think you're already here.