Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day 21...Viva Los Labios Negros!!

Slept in and didn't leave my beautiful apartment which over looks the East river, Manhattan skyline, the Brooklyn Bridge and every tour bus that carries the rest of the world to catch a lesser elevated version of my spectacular view. Did I mention this place has a modest panoramic view? I could tell you about it again. I'm so stoked. You know, I did actually leave once but not until 9PM. My old old friend Mike, a booking agent here in town, rang me up to go see one of my favorite bands The Black Lips. Every time I'm in New York we're always guest listed at some show or another. It's great. We used to go see shows all the time back when we were going to college but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Mike is the kind of friend you might not see for 10 years and the minute you do, not a day has passed. At the show there was more beer throwing,stage diving and head bobbing than I've seen at a show in years. I'd have participated years ago but was fine just watching and listening. It was good to see the kids still know how to cut loose. Needless to say the Black Lips were great. They have been touring for something like ten years straight and they are only in their early twenties. Their sound is spectacular for this genre and they understand that once you take the "stoopid" out of "stoopid rocknroll" it becomes lame. It was their song "Dirty Hands" (from the album Let it Bloom) that caught my ear several years ago. You can hear it below. The Black Lips get it. The Black Lips are it. Number of souls saved by the Black Lips sound...one and counting. Viva Los Labios Negros!



I'm crazy for this Greek yogurt and honey combo





No comments: