Monday, September 24, 2007

Day 25

Ok. I know this is getting rediculus but it was another amazing morning to wake up in Brooklyn. Seventy degrees, dry and sunny. Maura had told me about this great French Bakery down the block the night before. I cracked my eyes open and knew that I was headed straight for a double latté and an almond croissant. I made it down to the place stumbling, with flip flopped feet over the jumbles of cobblestones that make up Water St. just below the bridge. Went in and could tell from the moment I stepped in I was about to taste greatness. That's why I gladly spent $7 (w/ $1.50tip) for my double short latté and my almond croissant. Though it was just as amazing as expectations had suggested, the graphic on the bag I had to reach in to get my morsel was a little disturbing. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a croissant or a feminine napkin. I'm not sure who decided on this thing, but if anyone who works at Almondine Bakery in Dumbo is reading this...take my word...the picture looks like it came straight off the Summer's Eve bottle. Get rid of it. Ok enough on that. While walking back to the apt. I found two cool spherical flowers in the gutter. Stragglers from a catered event the night before. I decided they would be great in the van. I took a picture of them then walked to the dock to look at the water. A tug boat went by and an epic right revealed itself to me. Back up inside the place, Maura suggested I take a bike ride out to Red Hook and check some of the sights along the way. Good delis and shops etc. Great brownstones...whatever. So I did. When I got out to the park in Red Hook I was starving. The sound of Banda music , along with soccer whistles drifted behind the smoke of grilling meat under make shift tents and vending booths. I was in heaven. THis is JUST LIKE HOME!!!!! I couldn't have been happier to come upon this scene. I stood in line for a Hauracha and some sliced mango with salt, chili powder ,and lime. OH MY GOD was it all insane. Football y Tacos ...Red Hook...Pura Vida.















No comments: